However, I must confess that I almost never make it the way my original recipe is written.
Instead, I make Cheater Chili Verde. Still yummy, but ridiculously easy. No more excuses about not having time to make dinner…..try this and enjoy!
Cheater Chili Verde
- Pork Roast (any kind, enough to feed your family)
- Jar of green salsa, salsa verde, or whatever you call it at your house. Make sure it’s spicy…I use Mrs. Renfro’s, the hottest I can find
- 1 cup chicken broth or water (optional)
- Place roast in slow cooker
- Dump salsa over top
- Cook on low 8-10 hours, or on high 4-6 hours, until roast shreds easily with a fork
- Before serving, use two forks to shred roast
After step 4 you have two options:
- Add a small amount of liquid if it looks dry, then serve up with taco shells, lettuce wraps, or tortillas, along with your favorite taco toppings
- For chili, add up to 1 cup liquid to make it more soup-y, let simmer about 30 minutes, then serve with your favorite chili toppings. My family likes grated cheese and Fritos, while I like to add some cauliflower rice, sliced avocado and a big dollop of sour cream.